Galaxy Zoo Talk

Little Mystery for Beginner

• Admino by Admino

Hi All,

I need to know a bit more about this kind of objects. What would they be? A disrupted galaxy?

thanks

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

I would agree that it is a disturbed galaxy. It is likely that it had collided with the galaxy on the left. When two galaxies collide, lots of young blue stars are made by the energy of the collision. Blue stars have short lives, only a few million years, and then they explode as supernovae. .So as mentioned in the comments, it is known as a starburst galaxy.

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Could this be a collisional ring galaxy? This image makes you think of the scenario of a galaxy collision when the 'culprit', in this case the galaxy to the left, has collided head on with the central galaxy, going right through it, creating a collisional ring containing smaller starburst galaxies placed round the ring.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Not sure about a collisional ring. The galaxy to the right doesn't really look like one (to me) . I'm sticking with my disturbed barred spiral, interacting with the little one to the left. But hey, that is just me ! 😉

Posted