Galaxy Zoo Talk

Is it a galaxy?

• arose513 by arose513

Take a look at this picture. What do you think this is? Comment if you think you know what it is.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hi arose513 and welcome to the Zoo,

This is most definitely a galaxy. It's a disk or spiral galaxy seen edge on. The red dot to the left of the centre is a foreground star from our galaxy.

Hope this helps and happy hunting !

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

At a closer look the small red object to the left of the center seems to be a thin red line changing to green as it stretches across the edgeon. Either it's an artifact or, since it is both red and green in a line, perhaps it could be a small transient changing colour during it's course. It's not present in Pan-STARRS.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Nice catch ! The red dot is indeed a red line, but I'm not sure it stretches out to a green line. But even so, the red line could indicate that it is an asteroid.

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

In the seperate bands I see a regular small rectangular artifact in r band just above the red line.

Red line is only visible in i band and runs through the complete galaxy, with one difference; on the left side it is 'bright'' (red) and on the right side it is dark. Never seen such a fast asteroid in SDSS before, perhaps another rarer type of artifact?

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Interesting! Thanks to both of you!

Posted