Galaxy Zoo Talk

Ring galaxies

• GoldenRule by GoldenRule

To me this galaxy makes it look like the bar is pushing the rest of the galaxy out. No science behind that just what it looks like to me. I'm curious to what the leading theories are on how ring galaxies form? Last thing I seen was galaxies like Hoags object are a mystery on how they form.

Posted

http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr9/en/tools/chart/chart.asp?ra=213.31198435&dec=-3.20759027

This is a super confusing galaxy to me it has a dust ring yet looks like the agn is outside the ring. Very cool though

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

There are, as I understand it, two kinds of "ring galaxies"^: collisional rings - like Hoag's object - which as the name suggests, are the result of a collision between two galaxies; they are very rare. The other are ringed galaxies, and are much more common. Many lenticular (a.k.a. S0) galaxies have such rings, but so do several other Hubble types. Many such rings are resonances.

Ron Buta has been studying ringed galaxies, and how they arise, for a long time. Recently he published a pair of paper of such galaxies, based on GZ2 data; you can get them here (it's arXiv:1707.06589), and here (arXiv:1706.02644).

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! 😃

^ there's actually a third kind, nuclear rings. We rarely see any in SDSS or DeCALS images, because they're so small, both physically and in angular extent ("on the sky")

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR in response to JeanTate's comment.

A quick check on wikipedia suggests Hoag's object might not be a collisional ring galaxy, or not one that is that clear-cut.

Also I believe there are two 'kinds' of collisional ring galaxies; the ones where a ring is formed around the central bulge (ringed galaxy), and those where the nucleus / bulge is completely absent / is part of the ring so the center is empty (ring galaxy).

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Budgieye's Index for Galaxy Zoo Talk (links and images ) has several entries on ring, ringed, etc galaxies (Page 2 " Features of Galaxies, overlaps, collisions"); well worth exploring! 😃

Posted

Thank you both!! Jean thank you for the link. I've seen a lot of ring galaxies on here. I'm no scientist but I have a feeling once they figure out "dark matter" it'll explain ringed galaxies in a different way lol pure speculation but extremely intriguing

Posted

http://aladin.unistra.fr/AladinLite/?target=15 44 3.598%2B04 46 8.83&fov=0.02&survey=P/SDSS9/color

Posted