Galaxy Zoo Talk

Suggesting a way to see if you were the first person to view a galaxy

• Overene by Overene

I was reading some of the stuff on the site, and I remember it saying that you could be the first person to view a galaxy. That sounds cool, but there isn't really any way to know if you were actually the first to view something.

So, what I'm proposing is that on your profile where you can click on galaxies you have classified, it would also show how many people viewed a galaxy before you.

Posted

• MeteoVEX by MeteoVEX

It's hard to tell, but I think if you see a somewhat interesting galaxy that has 0 comments you could be at least one of the first to see it. I don't know if my mind is recognizing a pattern that doesn't exist, but I started using this site a few days ago and after going through a lot of galaxies I think I'm starting to see more somewhat intriguing galaxies that have no comments. I've not yet seen a stunning or extraordinary galaxy yet with no comments.

From http://www.galaxyzoo.org/

If you're quick, you may even be the first person to see the galaxies you're asked to classify.

From http://www.galaxyzoo.org/#/story

The data being put into Galaxy Zoo can now change quickly, thanks to the dedicated work of volunteers and the "retirement" of images that have already been completed. One of the new sets of images to be classified comes from the Dark Energy Camera Legacy Survey (DECaLS), a survey which uses DECam, one of the most sensitive and widest-area cameras ever built and a key tool in our search to measure and understand dark energy.

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

See also this recent thread, upcoming DECaLS set from Data Release 2 in the making, so that will contain a lot of new galaxies (among other things 😃 ), bottom of thread page 3

http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/?_ga=1.244656832.476670387.1443719759#/boards/BGZ0000005/discussions/DGZ0001u25

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Sorry, but the nearest million galaxies in the Northern Hemisphere have been looked at about 50X so far, probably more. These are "close" galaxies, that we can see some structure. Galaxy Zoo has also looked at maybe another million in small parts of the sky viewed by Hubble. It is only when Galaxy Zoo first started, that some people would be the first to see a galaxy. We are now running out of good galaxies!

If we get a survey of the southern stars, or if Hubble or other telescopes that look deeper across the Universe, release more images, then you might be the first human to see a galaxy.

Posted

• Overene by Overene in response to MeteoVEX's comment.

I don't think that would be very accurate though, since I'd venture a guess that most of the people using GalaxyZoo don't comment on galaxies

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Well, it is probably true that as we get access to telescopes with more resolution, that we will notice something about a galaxy that hasn't been seen before. This is where Galaxy Zooite expertise comes in. An experienced classifer will notice something different about a galaxy. If there is something unusual about a galaxy, it is best to mention it in Talk, so a scientist can be brought in to comment. T

Posted