Galaxy Zoo Talk

Speedy Zooniverse project (Magellanic clouds)

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

I strongly suspect this will be a short-lived project, so be quick if you want to participate 😃

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/lcjohnso/the-magellanic-clouds-project

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Ghost_Sheep_SWR's comment.

Yeah, and it seems that they're particularly looking for feedback ...

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR in response to JeanTate's comment.

Hmm, that isn’t clearly expressed in the project About or FAQ, at least not to me...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Ghost_Sheep_SWR's comment.

From the email I got announcing this:

This is a somewhat special beta review in that Cliff Johnson (the research lead) built this project as part of the American Astronomical Society meeting Project Builder workshop today. We hope to receive at least some feedback within the hour to showcase how the process works to our workshop attendees. Thank you!

Posted

Ah I didn’t see that, just responded to a tweet by vrooje really.

But good news, I did found a PDF yesterday where there was given the intention of actually making this a Zooniverse project, and comparing it with the PHAT project it would be ~5 times bigger.

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Page 25 of 26: https://www.noao.edu/meetings/decam2015/files/KOlsen_DECam2015.pdf

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Nice find, Ghost_Sheep! 😃

Looks like that page confirms they will be (are?) using sims. If they're already in the beta version, then it's bad news ... unlike in the Andromeda Project (arguably one of the Zooniverse's most successful), you don't get told you've just classified a sim ...

Posted

Thanks 😃

Yeah I dislike sims a bit, but not as much as ‘secret’ sims. Seems like every new project has to learn to communicate they’re using sims all over again. And I don’t mind them too much if its just a few here and there, I understand they are necessary to assess completeness.

But would be a cool project, it goes pretty deep doesn’t it?

Posted