Galaxy Zoo Talk

Subject: AGZ0003knj

Subject AGZ0003knj Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Alpha_Aurigae by Alpha_Aurigae

#UGC 04262

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

#merger

Posted

• victorialepp by victorialepp

How do you know it's a #merger? Is it the little blue bits at the far left arm?

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

You can't know for sure if it is part of the galaxy, unless a spectrum is taken. It may be a satellite galaxy orbiting the main galaxy.

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

#overlap. The small object is another galaxy. The two galaxies have different redshifts.

Posted

• victorialepp by victorialepp

Okay, how did you know that one has a different redshift? What did you look for?

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

I have now learnt that I was wrong about how to get redshifts. Sorry! Look at Budgieyes post below mine.

Posted

• batuhn93 by batuhn93

there is a note from NED saying no evidence of interaction

Posted

• batuhn93 by batuhn93

click on - View in Galaxy Zoo examine an than NED search so you can find some information

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Thank you!

Posted

center target galaxy z = 0.02, small blue photoz is 0.03
    zErr 0.05, or 0 to 0.08, so inconclusive.

Posted

I think that small galaxy is more blue, therefore closer, but that is just me.

Posted

The note in NED, says no evidence of interaction, no proof other than looking, which we can see that for ourselves 😃

Posted

• batuhn93 by batuhn93

I thought someone there looked at the spectroscopy at least. If you say no evidence that means you looked for it as much as you can..

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Neither galaxy has a spectra associated with it, so visual inspection is most likely the extent of the investigation.

Posted