Galaxy Zoo Talk

Subject: AGZ0007yy1

Subject AGZ0007yy1 Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Mergie by Mergie

Is the bright white area part of the galaxy or behind? What has pulled the galaxy towards the lower left?

Posted

• ramberts by ramberts

inquiring minds would like to know about this one, the bright orange ones look unrelated but that is really disturbed!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

1/3 The bright white bit, is the bar of the disturbed spiral. The orange galaxies are unrelated to the central one. I think the culprit...

Posted

2/3 causing the disturbance is off screen to the right. There does seem to be a faint tidal tail in that direction. We would need to ...

Posted

3/3 see a zoomed out image to confirm if that is the case! At the moment it is all just guess work 😃

Posted

• ramberts by ramberts

Interesting arm running between the orange pair, definitely a great picture

Posted

• c_cld by c_cld

zoom in AGZ0007yyh

Posted

• liometopum by liometopum

C_cld, I just saw this, after messaging you. FYI, on page 5 of the 'compare SDSS and Hubble", I have the SDSS comparison image, and z-data.

Posted

• liometopum by liometopum

Should we add this to the 'Spiral with blue" chat?

Posted

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist

Looks like a pretty cool merger to me, with colors perhaps due to strong emission lines in g and i images?

Posted

• Sirritanga by Sirritanga

First define "Galaxy in the centre" to classify - my ruler says it's the arm at the lower end of the bar.

Posted

• Sirritanga by Sirritanga

Gravitational lens? Barred spiral in front of elliptical galaxy seen twice / partially darkened by dust in the spiral arm?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Most people will pick the disturbed barred spiral as the central one.

Posted