Galaxy Zoo Talk

Subject: AGZ000bxq6

Subject AGZ000bxq6 Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Uhm, well some kind of #merger

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

1/2 In this case I am going to say no, it looks like a more distant orange spiral galaxy, overlaped by a warped edge on.

Posted

2/2 There is also a dark band, most likely a removed artifact going through the upper galaxy. Hence the somewhat disturbed appearance.

Posted

I almost started to see your point in overlapping, but both have spectrum z~0.0503 Err~0 and z~0.0506 Err~0, both disturbed and starforming

Posted

1/3 Spectrum is sometimes very misleading, and can lead to incorrect conclusions 😃 Always advisable to use your eyes first ...

Posted

2/3 When a spectrum is done it includes all objects within the line of site of its detector. So it can include multiple objects.

Posted

3/3 IOW it is contaminated, and it is not very easy to split out what emissions etc... belong with what object.

Posted

I am not sure where you see star formation in the red galaxy behind - I am more interested in that it appears to be a red spiral.

Posted

I can see the way a the spectra would bd contaminated, therefore also classifying these both as 'starforming'.

Posted

But two different spectra with slightly different z with minimal given error would account for something?

Posted

The redshift or 'z 'is calculated from the spectra, if the spectra is composed of multiple sources it is not accurate.

Posted

It is most likely to be more 'accurate' for the foreground source. That is all I have time for tonight - happy hunting!

Posted