Galaxy Zoo Talk

Subject: AGZ000cw5e

Subject AGZ000cw5e Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• TenthEagle by TenthEagle

WTF ????

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

NGC 7681 is a lenticular, assymetric galaxy with a star superimposed.

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

That amazes me, would have bet on double nucleus 100%!

Posted

Do you mean the star at 10 o'clock? #NGC 7681 is a merger / double nucleus galaxy as suspected.

Posted

See page 3: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1609.00391.pdf

Posted

"A closer inspection, however, shows that this system consists of a close pair of bulges of roughly equal luminosity separated by 3.6′′"

Posted

• zoob1172 by zoob1172

"We include the kinematic maps and properties of NGC 7681 in Figure D11 for completeness but otherwise exclude it from this paper. "

Posted

Lol you keep on reposting your comments to the top of the comment sections for no obvious reason. How quaint.

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

I thought it looked like a double nucleus too, but in NED note 1, it said: 'Stellar companion superimposed', which made me think...

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

... that the companion was a star. I haven't come across the expression 'stellar companion' before.

Posted

Me neither. Confusing name but might be another nearby galaxy as it seems they're a pair. Nice new word to spread confusion though :p

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Strangely enough SIMBAD calls one of the nuclei a star. Maybe that's why whoever wrote note 1 in NED got it all wrong 😕

Posted

Seems this one is riddled with confusion, also misidentified by other catalogs so yes might be a reason.

Posted

Strangest of all is apart from that one commentary in paper there is no ref at all for double nucleus / merger. Sure looks like it to me

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Yes, funny that scientists haven't agreed about something which looks so obvious to our eyes.

Posted

Obvious yes, but then again we're trained classifiers, scientists are no match for us 😉 I'll probably see if I can get clear images later.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

B) 😃

Posted

Hmm can't really get a better image than above. But the top one is much brighter in all SDSS bands than lower one and very round like star.

Posted

Lower one is fainter in comparison but more elongated like a bulge / nucleus. Above image is probably distorting the actual shapes a bit...

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

#NGC 7681 NGC7681

Posted

• ine by ine

#UGC 12629

Posted