Galaxy Zoo Talk

Hello Galaxy Zoo!

• DZM by DZM admin

Dear Zooites of the Galaxy Zoo... hello! I've made a few posts around here, and introduced myself in the thread about improving the Talk system, but I wanted to offer a general introduction as well to explain this new, random interloper.

My name is Darren--DZM here on Talk--and I've just joined the Zooniverse team. I'm working on a few projects, first and foremost a makeover of this Talk system to incorporate some of the awesome feedback that you and other Zooites have been offering. Iโ€™ll also be around these boards as often as possible, looking for any other ways in which I can help out, so Iโ€™m always interested in hearing from you!

I should mention that my background is in journalism and relations, not science or astronomy, so I am a complete neophyte at, say, galaxies. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ However, Iโ€™m really hoping to learn from all of you incredibly smart people! If possible, Iโ€™d like to participate in this project as an ordinary new citizen scientist alongside my role with the team. I already learned what a voorwerp is (sort of), so Iโ€™m on my way, right?

If thereโ€™s anything that you think the new guy should know right off the bat, please share, and feel free to ask anything about me as well. Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming, and Iโ€™m looking forward to working together!

For science!

DZM

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

I should say that the first thing I'm going to do to welcome Darren is to forward him ALL the suggestions I have received thus far about Talk (or at least those suggestions I have permission to forward). ๐Ÿ˜‰

But I think it's also good to get the public discussion going again, so I'm glad to see some more posts in the thread Darren linked to above. I'm also looking forward to chatting about galaxies!

-Brooke

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

also:

FOR SCIENCE!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

FOR SCIENCE! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

If anyone would like to know a bit more about me and my role, there's a new Zooniverse blog post up from Chris Lintott introducing me.

Feel free to check it out, and I'm happy to answer any additional questions that you might have! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

Let me just say that as a newbie to this project I am delighted to offer my free time to such a noble effort. I am assisting in a couple other Zooniverse projects as well and am spreading the word to friends and family. btw i'm retired and in coastal california.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

@HMB6EQUJ5 ... fantastic! You and everyone else here are the true heroes. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Welcome, and thank you!

Posted

• rtroxel by rtroxel

I'm writing from northern New Mexico, USA, where the night skies are clear - and we're going to make them stay that way.

I've just completed observing 100 Arp galaxies for the Astronomical League's certificate. I would like to get into a discussion with others who have observed the Arps, as well as discuss what they think of Dr. Arp's theories, regarding the red shift, cosmology, etc...

Roy

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Congratulations on observing 100 Arp galaxies. Did you photograph them too?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi @rtroxel! You may want to start a new thread for that... this was my introductory thread, and it's a bit old now. In fact, I'm probably going to unfeature it. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Congrats on your observations!

Posted