Galaxy Zoo Talk

Possible Bright Supernova Lights Up Spiral Galaxy M61

• Alpha_Aurigae by Alpha_Aurigae

One of my Planet Hunter colleagues, ajamyajax, sent me this link. Thanks Mark 😃

http://www.universetoday.com/115818/possible-bright-supernova-lights-up-spiral-galaxy-m61/

M61 = NGC 4303

Here is NGC 4303 in Infrared: AGZ00076sb and AGZ00076sa

Posted

It was identified as a possible supernova by GZ volunteer John Talbot and C_Cld more or less confirmed it. I hope the scientists will have a look at it and make it a definite supernova, an a GZ discovery. I thought I'd let you know because you spotted the possible SN also, although you didn' t recognize it as such. But in my book that makes you a co-discoverer 😃

(But who am I?)

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Sorry to go off topic from the original post...

Lets not get ahead of ourselves 😃

The only way to confirm a supernova is to look at before and after images. So until the following is done:

• The relevant images of AGZ000564r have been found and analysed;
    • It is indeed confirmed as undiscoved SN;
    • It is submitted to the relevant organisation for confirmation;

there is really no point talking about who discovered what now.

It would be really cool if it was one, but no point getting people hopes up only to have them dashed later - Let us allow science to take it's course 😃

Posted

Just so no one gets confused - the link above is referring to the original post - not to the three replies that followed.

I wish I could split the thread, but we can't in Talk.

Edited to add: the link referred to in my post was removed by the poster @wtaskew... Here it is: - really cool, don't know why he chose to remove it 😃

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

AGZ000564r this image was taken 01/01/04 so unless there is a SN that went off in the latter part of 2003.....

Posted

Science is a process of search, research, check, double check and discovery.

One of the fun parts of a citizen science project is it offers the regular Joe a chance to participate in and contribute to science, and even making a discovery. Ask Hanny. Ask me: http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.0369

I had the fortune of finding a special kind of cataclysmic variable on Planet Hunters. I also had the privilege of being in on the ground floor, notifying the astronomers, their initial thoughts, the convincing, the observations and the results, it was all very, very exciting. And in the end a scientific paper about a new CV was published. AND a number of Planet Hunter volunteers who contributed in the discussion became a co-author. The ultimate recognition.

I think it is very important for a volunteer who makes an important discovery, to be recognized as a discoverer. Isn't that what Zooniverse more or less promises us?

Hanny's Voorwerp was not only an important discovery, it also made a lot of good publicity for Zooniverse and Galaxy Zoo. It also serves as an example. If one volunteer can make a significant contribution, another (i.e. you) can also make one (PH papers always mentions the volunteers who made discoveries). And those who deny this, check out the amount of volunteers rising after a BBC broadcast about Zooniverse/Galaxy Zoo/Planet Hunters.

Discovering a special star, planetary system or galaxy is very exciting. But it can also be disappointing. Sometimes someone else has made the discovery first. Sometimes the discovery doesn't turn out to be as exciting as you initially thought it was. Sometimes you are dead wrong in your assumptions and your discovery isn't what you thought it was.

I agree with Capella05 we have to wait and see if the SN is a genuine new discovery. If it is there is nothing wrong in pointing out the first few volunteers who flagged the supernova. Either as supernova or artifact. On Planet Hunters some volunteers found a rare RR Lyrae Type C variable without knowing it at first (I was one of them). Still those volunteers will be a co-author on the new RR Lyrae paper.

I am very adamant about giving volunteers credit for their finds. But like I said who am I? I am just a regular Joe, a volunteer.

I am also aware of the different cultures on PH and GZ. PH easier gives credit to volunteers than GZ, but I may be wrong of course. I haven't been here that long.

Please understand this is only my opinion, and not meant as criticism.

Cheers,
    Abe

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

well said Joe Regular

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Alpha Aurigae's comment.

Um, Guys, I never said anything about people not getting credited - I just said let's wait and see 😃

Posted

I know, it was not meant as a criticism, that is why I said this: "I agree with Capella05 we have to wait and see if the SN is a genuine new discovery." 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I second that ! I have been credited for everything I have done for the Zooniverse, be it as an acknowledgement in a paper or made a co-author on a paper. My experience is that people here on GZ or the Zooniverse will get credit where credit is due ! So, fingers crossed ! 😄

Posted

Excellent - so all the posters were in accordance all along.

Can everyone please try to keep the thread on track? Unless you are discussing the M61 SN or AGZ000564r - please start a new thread.

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

necromancer at work 😃

Green transient from AGZ000564r still unreported.

RA Dec 339.5895 8.6103 (galaxy nucleus coordinates)

MJD SDSS r band = 5.47871326E4 = 17-11-2008 (Day-Month-Year)

Not visible in PanSTARRS1 (DECaLS still offline)

enter image description hereSDSS

http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr8/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=1237679008779862067

enter image description herePan-STARRS1

Posted