Galaxy Zoo Talk

GZ papers

• Alpha_Aurigae by Alpha_Aurigae

How many Galaxy Zoo volunteers have ever made it to a co-authorship on a scientific GZ paper, apart from Hanny that is.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

As of December, 2013, I counted just two others: Richard Proctor (two papers) and Massimo Mezzoprete (one); see the GZ forum thread Ordinary zooites as co-authors of Galaxy Zoo papers?.

If you include other extragalactic Zooniverse projects - e.g. Space Warps, Supernova Zoo, Radio Galaxy Zoo, Andromeda, M83 - there is, as far as I know, just one other paper, with four others as co-authors (Elisabeth Baeten, Claude Cornen, Christine Macmillan, and Julianne K. Wilcox); it's mentioned on p2 of the GZ Talk thread Recent Galaxy Zoo related submissions to arXiv (and elsewhere).

Posted

Thanks Jean ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

The last four people you mentioned I don't consider volunteers, as they are part of the Galaxy Zoo team.

Two volunteers is a very discouraging amount. Add to that a certain prominent PH volunteer - who has never been here as far as I know - is also on one or two GZ papers I am starting to wonder if ordinary volunteers do have a chance.

Posted

BTW is Richard Proctor a real name? I came across this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_A._Proctor . That is one huge coincidence.

BTW 2: I have now become convinced that ordinary GZ volunteers don't stand a chance in hell of ever making it to a GZ scientific paper. That is even more discouraging and it reeks of elitism.
    Not only professionals make discoveries, you know? I have also become convinced Hanny is a poster girl for Galaxy Zoo, to lure in more volunteers and give us the false impression we can also make discoveries and make it to a scientific paper. I haven't seen anything to the contrary on Galaxy Zoo.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Alpha Aurigae's comment.

Myself, Els , Christine and Claude are all volunteers - we are not paid by or work for the Zooniverse.

It is through hard work that we were privileged enough to be asked to contribute too several papers (next one on arXiv tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜ƒ )

I have met Richard Proctor ('waveney' for the old timers) - lovely bloke - he arranged several meetups on Brownsea island, but he has slipped off the radar over the past few years.

Posted

• dj_tjitso by dj_tjitso

I'm not doing this for the fame, I'm doing it for the pretty pictures ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

There are also 3 Solar Stormwatch papers

• Validation of Genuine CME Arrival Predictions Made Using Real-Time Heliospheric Imager Observations" by Kimberley Tucker-Hood, Christopher Scott, Mathew Owens, David Jackson, Luke Barnard, Jackie Davies, Steve Crothers, Robert Simpson, Neel Savani, J Wilkinson, B Harder, G Eriksson, E Baeten, and Lily Wan Wah : 3 zooites as co-author

• The Solar Stormwatch CME catalogue: Results from the first space weather citizen science project

L. Barnard1,*, C. Scott1, M. Owens1, M. Lockwood1, K. Tucker-Hood1, S. Thomas1, S. Crothers2, J. A. Davies2, R. Harrison2, C. Lintott3, R. Simpson3, J. O'Donnell3, A. M. Smith4, N. Waterson5, S. Bamford6, F. Romeo7, M. Kukula7, B. Owens7, N. Savani8, J. Wilkinson9, E. Baeten9, L. Poeffel9 andB. Harder9 : 4 zooites as co-author

• The distribution of interplanetary dust between 0.96 and 1.04 AU as inferred from impacts on the STEREO spacecraft observed by the Heliospheric Imagers

C. J. Davis, J. A. Davies, O. C St Cyr, M. Campbell-Brown, A. Skelt, M. Kaiser, Nicole Meyer-Vernet, S. Crothers, C. Lintott, A. Smith, S. Bamford, E. M. L. Baeten : 1 zooite as co-author

And can I say that I feel slightly offended by the implication that we somehow didn't deserve to be co-authors.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

No response Abe?

Posted

Are you sure you are posting in the correct thread?

your posts seem a bit off topic:

It's a Long hard road to become an astronomer. Wish my maths were better.

and

It's more than just pretty pictures.

The discussion is about whether normal / average classifiers have been co-authors on a published paper and the answer is yes!

Edit: I have had too add a postscript as previous posters have deleted their posts. The quotes above where made by @wtaskew and my post was in response to him.

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N. in response to Alpha Aurigae's comment.

Personally, I've been credited in the Green Peas and the Voorwerpjes (2012) papers. I haven't got any co-authorships mainly because I couldn't contribute to the writing of one- I'm not a pro scientist. It doesn't bother me, as my job isn't writing up papers. I made that first list of 39 GPs back in December 2007, but I couldn't have written a paper about them- I wouldn't know where to start. Ten of us volunteers were credited in that paper; it was a team effort.

Hanny Van Arkel took on an ambassadorial role for GZ which she didn't get paid for and fair play to her for that. She has been out there speaking on behalf of us. You haven't...

GZ is a team effort. I wouldn't be writing this if it wasn't for Chris and Kevin getting together over a beer those years ago. I also wouldn't have progressed as an astronomer, nor found some good friends. Good friends are hard to find. You Alpha also couldn't be here. Remember that and a little more respect please.

Posted

Thank you Rick, for your opinion and go team* GZ!

By team, I mean everyone contributing to the effort by classifying - you are awesome!

But I would still like to hear @Alpha_Aurigae response....

Edited to add 23/03/2015 @ 2020: @Alpha_Aurigae did respond but he has since deleted his posts.

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck in response to JeanTate's comment.

As of December, 2013, I counted just two others: Richard Proctor (two
    papers) and Massimo Mezzoprete (one); see the GZ forum thread Ordinary
    zooites as co-authors of Galaxy Zoo papers?.

One of the co-authors of Simmons et al. 2014: "Galaxy Zoo: CANDELS Barred Disks and Bar Fractions," Kian J. Jek, is listed as a Galaxy Zoo Volunteer. An author search on arxiv also shows him as a co-author of 7 Planet Hunters related papers.

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

Man someone hit a nerve!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to mlpeck's comment.

As has been noted in another thread, "The Red Radio Ring: a gravitationally lensed hyperluminous infrared radio galaxy at z=2.553 discovered through citizen science" (arXiv:1503.05824) is hot off the arXiv press. The authors include:

• E. Baeten (Zooniverse, c/o Oxford Astrophysics, Denys Wilkinson Building, Keble Road, Oxford, OX1 3RH, UK)
    • C. Cornen (ditto)
    • C. Macmillan (ditto)
    • G. Miller (ditto)
    • J. Wilcox (ditto)

This CosmoQuest forum thread may be of interest, not least because I tried - unsuccessfully - to track down what happened to all the data collected in the Irregulars Project: Why is there essentially zero work being done by Citizen Scientists (amateurs)?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Thanks Els.

According to the Zooniverse publications page, there are four Solar Stormwatch papers. Strangely, however, while there are links to all four on the page ("Available here"), two seem to be behind paywalls, including the first one ("Validation of a priori CME arrival predictions made using real-time heliospheric imager observations").

Posted

Validation of Genuine CME Arrival Predictions Made Using Real-Time Heliospheric Imager Observations" by Kimberley Tucker-Hood, Christopher Scott, Mathew Owens, David Jackson, Luke Barnard, Jackie Davies, Steve Crothers, Robert Simpson, Neel Savani, J Wilkinson, B Harder, G Eriksson, E Baeten, and Lily Wan Wah : 3 zooites as co-author

The Wiley Online Library page gives five authors with the same address ("Zooniverse, Astrophysics Department, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK"), namely:

• J. Wilkinson
    • B. Harder
    • G. M. Eriksson
    • E. M. L Baeten
    • Lily Lau Wan Wah

Which three are the zooites? And what roles do the other two play, in the Zooniverse?

Posted

Hi Everyone,

There have been so many posts deleted or edited in this thread - Can I please request the following from all of us?

This is not me making up rules, but rather trying to keep thing fair for everyone. Also it makes thread easier to read and understandable for users that might only read it in a day or two.

If you are posting a reply to another user - I would suggest quoting them in your response.

If you are planning on amending your posts, please can you leave a brief note as too what you have edited and when.

If you want to delete your post and someone has already replied to you - just remove the text and leave a note that the post has been deleted by the poster. Please don't remove the post as it is unfair for everyone participating in the discussion.

Thanking you all in advance ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to JeanTate's comment.

My mistake : all 5 are zooites, two of them I only knew by their usernames.

Posted

Thanks Els.

I'm quite curious about one aspect: how do you feel - as a zooite co-author - about the fact that the paper is behind a paywall?

Presumably you (and the other four zooite authors), as an author(s), have a free copy; however, all other zooites would have to pay ($38!) to get a copy (though somewhat less if they simply wanted to read it, over 48 hours).

Posted

• klmasters by klmasters scientist, admin

@jeantate - this is a Zooniverse paper submitted to MNRAS and therefore as per our agreement with MNRAS will be open access (this just may not have been processed yet - and if that is the case a polite reminder to the first author to take care of that would be the best thing to do). Also the arxiv contains the submitted text. So I'm not sure why you are worried about it being behind a paywallโ€ฆ..

http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/mnras/galaxy_zoo.html

Posted

• klmasters by klmasters scientist, admin

Oh my mistake - you've moved onto discussing Solar Storm watch papers which are not in MNRASโ€ฆ.. so not subject to that agreement. I also am not as familiar with the protocol of submitting for green open access to arxiv in that field. But again containing the first author (or the PI of Solar Storm Watch) to ask for that if you want it would be a good way to find out.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to klmasters's comment.

Thanks Karen.

Yes, we have moved onto discussing the SSW paper which has five zooites as co-authors.

But again containing the first author (or the PI of Solar Storm Watch) to ask for that if you want it would be a good way to find out.

Thanks (I think you meant to write "contacting"). Yes, I've done that, and I do have a copy of the paper.

Perhaps I could suggest - to DZM? Grant? - that the Zooniverse Publications page be edited, to say (in effect) that if any zooite would like a copy of publications listed on the page, ones that are behind paywalls, they could/should contact the lead authors to ask for one (with the lead authors' email addys being added too)? Perhaps a suggestion that a Zooniverse blog post be written, explaining why some Zooniverse publications are behind paywalls, and that zooites - whose freely given clicks were essential for the paper to be written in the first place - do not need to pay to access/read those papers?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Just so that everyone is aware, we are in contact with the lead authors on both of the papers in question. We are in the process of obtaining Arxiv (or the equivalent) versions that will be freely accessible to Zooites and adding them to the Publications page. I'll let everyone know once we have those up.

Thank you for bringing to our attention that those were not available without paying; this was not on purpose, and we're happy to rectify the issue. Jean is correct: people who contributed should never have to pay to read those papers. We appreciate it!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to DZM's comment.

Thanks DZM. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Hot off the arXiv press is arXiv:1503.08774, "Observational Tracking of the 2D Structure of Coronal Mass Ejections Between the Sun and 1 AU", by Savani, N. P., Davies, J. A., Davis, C. J., Shiota, D., Rouillard, A. P., Owens, M. J., Kusano, K., Bothmer, V., Bamford, S. P., Lintott, C. J., and Smith, A. A.k.a. Savani+ (2012).

The Comments line reads:

Published in Solar Physics in 2012. This is a a pre-acceptance draft. 6 Figures

Looking forward to Tucker-Hood+ (2015) ...

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to JeanTate's comment.

Hey, look, you did the letting-everyone-know for me! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

Hi Els.

That paper has still not appeared in arXiv (unlike the Savani+ 2012 one), and the link from the Zooniverse Publications page still takes you to a site from which you can get the paper itself only by paying (i.e. it's still behind a paywall). I know folks at Zooniverse Central are working on this, so I guess it's just taking time.

I'm quite curious about one aspect: at what point did you know/learn that the paper - with you (and four other ordinary zooites) as co-author(s) - would be published only behind a paywall? In the communications among the authors, prior to submission, did this come up?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to JeanTate's comment.

I'm quite curious about one aspect: at what point did you know/learn that the paper - with you (and four other ordinary zooites) as co-author(s) - would be published only behind a paywall? In the communications among the authors, prior to submission, did this come up?

The answer is very simple : I learned it was behind a paywall when you posted it. It never came up and I didn't check.

As for it not appearing on Arxiv yet, I'm sure Darren is on top of this.

Posted

Thanks Els.

Posted