Galaxy Zoo Talk

Solar eclipse 2017

• mlpeck by mlpeck

Any eclipse chasers out there? We had a perfect day in Clarksville, TN. Here are a couple of unedited shots I took. Corona at mid-eclipse:

20170821-2017_solar_eclipse-031.jpg

3rd contact. There's a huge almost detached prominence that I only captured in the last 3 frames I took and that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. I wonder if anyone else caught it:

20170821-2017_solar_eclipse-076.jpg

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

I did see some images of a flare at ~ that position, but more arc-shaped definitely not a long streak like that.

Nice images! (airplane in the first one below the Sun+moon?)

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

Thanks. Yeah you can just see the silhouette of a jet and its contrail. Must have been the NASA eclipse chaser, or maybe some lucky commercial jet.

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Well, if it IS the NASA eclipse chaser that would make this image pretty epic 😃

EDIT: here is 1:

enter image description here (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Wow, mlpeck ! Those are some amazing pics !

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Identifiying the airplane.

https://www.flightradar24.com/36.37,-87.49/9

Click on playback

Great images, by the way.

My score is Success 1: Misses 2

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

Thanks.

Someone pointed out to me that the long arcing "prominence" I was so fascinated with is almost certainly a lens flare rather than the solar kind. He's right of course.

This was my second total solar eclipse. I think my film images from back in 1998 were better in some ways than what I got this time, but I haven't spent much time working on the ones from this expedition yet. Maybe by the next eclipse within driving distance from home (just 7 years!) I'll have an imaging strategy worked out.

Posted