Known lensed red galaxy ongoing dusty star formation at redshift 0.816

lens SDSS J143845.03+145412.5 Redshift (z) 0.237

first posted GZ forum DR7 587742611339673780

1237668332564578466 1237668332564578466

DECaLS DR2 enter image description here

HST F140/F814/F606 enter image description here my composition

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Oh my! that Hubble image of a lensed galaxy is fantastic! Where did you find this?

Must use in the Index !!!!!!!

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Wow ! Thanks c_cld. 😄
    The Hubble image does look amazing !
    But I find the SDSS image stunning as well ! 😄

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Well that one didn't get the proper attention on the old forum 😃 incradible!

Indeed where did you get the (basic) picture? Out of curiosity tried the Hubble legacy site but could only get 6 MAST files / images 😕

Thanks

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Ghost_Sheep_SWR's comment.

There were so many images posted in the early days and none of us had any ideas about what we were seeing!
    Unfortunately some amazing things will not get noticed !
    But think of it this way : without GZ this image maybe wouldn't have been seen at all !

Posted

Very true! Heh that thread alone has 2022 pages! 😃

Btw on basis of only the SDSS image i'd go for a (dusty?) polar ring

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Ghost_Sheep_SWR's comment.

But it was a lens ! 😄 Woohoo !

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Hurray for echo-lily-mai , who had noticed it in 2009 !! I have contacted her to look at this. These lenses are only just visible in SDSS, you need a good eye to see them.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0004-637X/764/2/177/meta;jsessionid=4C27DD0DA0C8CCB4C34BAF2D2A2D80C3.c1.iopscience.cld.iop.org

enter image description here

Posted

• c_cld by c_cld

@Budgieye and @Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Tools for finding HST images:

1. HST Data Search where you input "target name" or Ra/Dec or "Proposal Id" or "PI Last Name"...
    2. [HST Search Results] where you mark datasets and "Submit marked data for retrieval from STDADS"
    3. [HST Retrieval Options] with "... or select or enter one or more extensions:" DRZ
    4. from your received email "Retrieval status for request anonymousxxxxxx" from archive@stsci.edu"
      Your data are being staged on the ftp host stdatu.stsci.edu. Please login via ftp as anonymous with your email address as your password.
    5. Transfer this data by your own ftp tool (ex.:FileZilla) on your computer
    6. Process the files with your image tools (DS9 or whatever similar)

I'm used to look at recent data releases after the proprietary period of recent observations and/or from HST proposals. If some observations please me I give a try of processing images with "Fits Liberator" for stretching and GIMP2 for scaling, rotating, superposition, colorizing and tuning.

For this lensed galaxy SDSS J143845.03+145412.5 I used the datasets:

Delivery status of individual files

jc9q01010_drz.fits with state: success (50.718 Mb)

jc9q01020_drz.fits with state: success (50.718 Mb)

ic9q02010_drz.fits with state: success (12.099 Mb)

ic9qa1010_drz.fits with state: success (12.099 Mb)

These datasets are not yet uploaded in HLA.

Hope this helps for your go at processing images which is more painting than scientific combining... 😃

Posted

Thanks for the extensive guide and beautiful image, i might use this in the future but intil now everything i do on GZ is iPhone only. So can't handle FITS files or really big files.

Posted

• echo-lily-mai by echo-lily-mai

Wow! This is fantastic. @Budgieye thanks so much for sending me this link.

Posted