Galaxy Zoo Talk

Interesting late galaxy merger

• planetaryscience by planetaryscience

While almost completed my survey of 1/720 of the sky for brown dwarfs, I found this interesting merger. One galaxy is very nearly completely destroyed, while the other one appears totally intact. I figure someone else here could get a better idea of what happened here than me...

Sorry I don't know how to resize the images... I'm sure I've been told a million times, though!

1 22 32.632 -14 02 02.13 (APMUKS(BJ) B012004.70-141743.4)

GALEX: (note the signal to the lower right, surprisingly centered on the more distant, diffuse cloud than the brighter one)

enter image description here

PANSTARRS:

DECaLS:

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Could well be an interaction / flyby of two galaxies wit very different masses? So that would mean the much more massive one looks more undisturbed in these images, although I doubt it would look that undisturbed in higher resolution images as the DECaLS image already seems to indicate.

GALEX = UV so if I got it right that's only produced by the highest energy events in the universe, in this case probably the nucleus of the big galaxy and the diffuse cloud then probably produces short-lived high energy stars at an extreme rate due to the tidal disruption?

Nice violent merger find btw 😃

PS, resizing images is possible by adding at the end or the image URL inside the brackets: space =400x for example:

![enter image description here](http://i.imgur.com/L0CMPeA.jpg?1 =400x)

Posted