Galaxy Zoo Talk

Don't forget to post overlaps to the GZ forum "overlaps" thread!

• JeanTate by JeanTate

NGC3314, astronomer Bill Keel, recently wrote:

Yes, we're still collecting! The catalog in the paper matched the classic DR7 Zoo - my plan is for further online versions to be maintained "live" (once caught up and organized), and we're also collecting Hubble Zoo overlaps as an important counterpoint (everyone feel free to use the overlap hashtags in Talk).

All kinds of overlap are potentially interesting, although ellipticals and lenticulars in front of spirals are not helpful when the redshift difference is large enough to make it cat which way around they go (delta z = 0.008 has been our generous cutoff value).

The Galaxy Zoo forum thread to post in is Wanted! Galaxy pairs which overlap but are not merging.

This is one of the most spectacular 'unexpected results' effort, by zooites, since Galaxy Zoo began. It has resulted in one published paper already ("Galaxy Zoo: A Catalog of Overlapping Galaxy Pairs for Dust Studies"; zooite Half65 is a co-author 😃); the first - fully public - data release is Overlapping galaxy pairs

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Bill Keel also searches Talk for overlaps.
    Don't worry, your efforts here are not wasted.
    Happy Hunting

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ElisabethB's comment.

ElisabethB
    Bill Keel also searches Talk for overlaps.
    Don't worry, your efforts here are not wasted.
    Happy Hunting

I'm sure he does! 😃

Do you know if he dropped by, here in Talk, to communicate to these Zoo Talkers (?) that the overlaps work is continuing?

As there is no button for overlaps, in the classification tree, a zooite who comes across one may not indicate that, whether with a hashtag or otherwise. And, as it takes extra work to pop out and comment/discuss/collect, if zooites are unaware that there's serious (scientific) interest in collecting overlaps, maybe they will not flag them?

Posted

• Half65 by Half65

overlap ... overlap ... overlap ...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Half65's comment.

Half65
    overlap ... overlap ... overlap ...

Hi Half65.

Actually, here in GZ Talk, I think you need to write #overlap ... #overlap ... #overlap 😉

Posted

• Half65 by Half65

Absolutely correct
    #overlap ... #overlap ... #overlap. 😉

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

And I notice that Half65 has started going though objects flagged as mergers (with the #merger hashtag), checking them out, and, if he thinks they are, in fact, overlaps, saying so (and adding #overlap).

For example, AGZ0002g7i ("IMHO #overlap according to redshift"):

He's also added comments to those with the #overlap hashtag, where he thinks they are not. But, as he hasn't added a hashtag, these will be hard to find. May I suggest adding #notoverlap (or something similar) as well?

Way to go Half65! :}

Posted

• Half65 by Half65

Good point.
    I believe that #notoverlap could be good.
    I'm starting to extract data also from here to send to NGC3314.
    Work in progress.
    overlap ... overlap ... overlap

Posted