Galaxy Zoo Talk

What's up

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

I thought this "Talk" was new and improved. It seems to have as many bugs as the Forum. It will not let me onto the recent thread? Am I the only on with this problem?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Nope, same thing here. Refreshing the page (sometimes) helps. ;D

Discussion boards, Following and Search work properly. Profile is also very slow.

It always fixes itself after a while.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to elizabeth's comment.

Talk takes forever to load? is a Help thread which discusses this (you can't add to it though, it's locked).

From the outside what happens is that at midday (CET) all v2 Talks seem to turn into pumpkins. Over the next hour or so things slowly get back to normal.

Although no one (who genuinely knows) came along to explain why this happens, it probably has to do with backing up and resetting stuff in databases. My guess is it's a feature, not a bug, and will only get worse (as the databases get larger, and as other bugs get fixed, requiring ever more care cycles in database management).

And yes, when v3 Talk comes along - I think I read somewhere that it is not 'backward compatible' with v2 Talk, so there will likely be some disruption - this is one of the bugs features that will be fixed retired.

Posted

This doesn't only happens around midday for me.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Search works properly

It does? That has not been my experience! Although it's been a while - at least a month - since I last tested this in anything more than a cursory fashion, I recall that Search was seriously affected by the 'turn into a pumpkin' event.

I'll try to test it tomorrow, at around pumpkin time (too late today, it's already 2:15 past pumpkin ๐Ÿ˜„).

Posted

Recent and Profile still not showing up for me !

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s in response to JeanTate's comment.

like the pumpkin time LOL

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s in response to ElisabethB's comment.

I can now get onto the recent thread

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

I have another tech question. I cannot save anything on my favorites link while classifying. Does any one know why?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

I'll try to test it tomorrow, at around pumpkin time

Just did, and Search seems to work fine! It even found an instance of a word which had been posted at barely a minute after Pumpkin ๐Ÿ˜„

Looks like I mis-remembered (or something changed in between).

Posted