Galaxy Zoo Talk

Galaxy Zoo: Mobile App!

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Yes - there is actually a Android application for your mobile / cell phone, so there is now, no excuse, not to classify galaxies on the run ๐Ÿ˜„

Created by @murraycu , you can download it to your Android device from Google Play

Some links:

Please post any queries / news / updates in this thread ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Related posts from other threads:

(We can't split posts, so in order to preserve the conversation from the 'Hubble - New Images' thread, all the relevant posts are reproduced below)

@Nate.petersen

so with the new images i noticed that there are new buttons fer the pressing, but sometimes they don't work and i was wondering if you guys knew this already or not. I wanted you to know so that the classifying goes correctly.

@Capella05

Hi Nate - are you using the downloadable app to classify? Or a normal
    browser?

@Peter_Dzwig

Capella,

what downloadable app?

@vrooje

There's an Android App for Galaxy Zoo ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@dj_tjitso

You can only classify SDSS images on that app. Maybe that changes soon, but I checked it a couple of hours ago.

@Capella05

I thought as much which is why I asked Nate if he was using the app...

@dj_tjitso

As far as I've noticed the app still works fine.

@Peter_Dzwig

Aaaahhhh...that app. I thought that it died several years ago; or maybe it was only a Apple app at the time - I don't think I was running Android then, but remember the app.

@Capella05

Actually, it is a new app that was developed several months ago by a member of the GZ community - I seem to recall his name is Murray (?). I have never used it - my phone is too old ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@vrooje

(@dj_tjitso:) You can only classify SDSS images on that app.

Hmm...... that's odd. I'll look into it, though as others have said it's a 3rd-party app so I'm not sure there's much I can actually do but suggest that the developer check this out.

@KWillet

Seconded - have forwarded concerns to the developer of the app.

@murraycu

(@dj_tjitso:) You can only classify SDSS images on that app. Maybe that changes soon, but I checked it a couple of hours ago.

I'm the Android app developer. What kind of problem are you seeing? Blank images, error messages, or something else? Or should these images have some extra questions or buttons?

Or maybe you are just not being offered images that you know are Hubble images? Maybe the app needs to start asking for the second group of subjects.

@ramberts

I downloaded the app, the new survey of Hubble images arent popping up at all that i saw. All sdss.

@murraycu

OK. Thanks. Hopefully I'll have time to update the app over the weekend.

@dj_tjitso

No errors, the app works perfectly, just only offers SDSS images. I know for sure they are SDSS, because you can check it on the discussions page.

@murraycu

I've updated the Android App and it should be available from the Play store in the next couple of days: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.murrayc.galaxyzoo.app

Anyone wanting to beta test it before then should please join this Google+ community. Then you'll see the beta version in the play store. https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/111676730443481682401

I had to make lots of changes in the code so I'd appreciate any beta testing before I publish it widely.

@vrooje

Fantastic!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ (Alas I don't have an Android device ๐Ÿ˜ฆ )

@dj_tjitso

I'll beta test it. I've applied to join te group.

Edit: I guess I need to be accepted into the group before I can download the beta?

@Capella05

Has the new updated version of the app been published yet? I just get SDSS images on the app on my new phone...

(@murraycu:) I've updated the Android App and it should be available from the Play store in the next couple of days: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.murrayc.galaxyzoo.app

@ramberts

Hello Capella, i can give you an update on it, he is fixing some bugs from the beta version and rereleasing a new beta soon so we can test it before release.

@Capella05

Cheers ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I was under the impression it was already released.

Perhaps Murray should start a separate thread with regards to the mobile app? That way everyone can be kept up to date with new releases, fixes, etc...

@ramberts

If it's version 1.43 it is the new version. If you see SDSS it should only last for 5 images, than move to Hubble if the Play Store is version 1.43. I have 1.43 updated version, but I don't know if that's what's in the play store because I'm a beta tester.

@Capella05

1.40 is the current version on Play.

This discussion really should be in a separate thread, so as not to detract from the Hubble image discussion.

If no one objects, I will create a new thread and quote the relevant posts? The original posts will be removed after a few days.

I will leave the original posts intact until Sunday Evening - then I will clean up the Hubble thread - any objections please say so!

Posted

• murraycu by murraycu translator

Version 1.44, now in the Google Play store, now uses the new survey subjects:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.murrayc.galaxyzoo.app

Posted

Just downloaded the update - nice job Murray!

Posted

• Phox by Phox

[ISSUE] In v1.48 the 'favorite' menu toggle seems not to always function properly. My "workaround" is to select 'discuss', login site and fave subject from 'collect' in Web interface. Can anyone else replicate?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

So sorry, but I have no experience with this. Also, I have no idea how many people are using this.

Anyone else can chip in ?

Posted

• murraycu by murraycu translator in response to Phox's comment.

Phox, I'm the developer of the Andoid app. The favorite toggle seems to work for me. For instance, if I toggle the Favorite menu item to on while classifying, I can then see that subject in the list of favorites here, after I have finished the classification:
    http://www.galaxyzoo.org/#/profile/favorites

If you see your classification here:
    http://www.galaxyzoo.org/#/profile/recents/
    then you should see it here too if you marked it as a favorite:
    http://www.galaxyzoo.org/#/profile/favorites

You might not see it in either recents/ or favorites/ immediately if the app has not yet uploaded your classification. That could conceivably take a little while, for a variety of possible reasons. It uses Android's general sync system, which might decide that it's too busy doing something else, or it might want to save power, for instance. But usually it happens almost instantly.

Posted

• hiigaran by hiigaran

Is there any way we can have the option to download more than 50 galaxies on the mobile app? It's a great way to pass the time while commuting and unable to use Internet. I'm sure I'm not the only person who would love to load up a few hundred at home, before leaving the house.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Sorry, can't help you there. Hope there will be someone with a solution ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

You will have to contact @MurrayC (the mobile app developer) to request that. All the details to contact him are in this thread.

Posted

Going to merge this thread with the existing mobile app one to keep things all in one place!

Posted

• hiigaran by hiigaran

Cheers. Didn't think to look in the Help section for this.

Posted

• murraycu by murraycu translator in response to hiigaran's comment.

@hiigaran , Sure, this will appear in the next version:
    https://github.com/murraycu/android-galaxyzoo/commit/85293961919deb827be147d9c813d45a3a3c3c0d

200 is enough, right?

If you have any other requests, it would be really nice if you open an "issue" here:
    https://github.com/murraycu/android-galaxyzoo/issues

I don't check talk.galaxy.zoo.org often.

Posted

• hiigaran by hiigaran

Much better than 50, definitely. 200 would keep me busy for about 40 minutes.

I'll certainly let you know if I find any issues

Posted

• murraycu by murraycu translator

You can now test the latest version before it is released publicly, here:
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.murrayc.galaxyzoo.app

Posted

• hiigaran by hiigaran

Sorry, I missed that. Saw the update though, and it looks great!

One question though...it seems like some photos have a different interface than others. Some would ask specifically about mergers, for instance. What's the reason for only some being asked about that?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to hiigaran's comment.

Not really a question about the mobile app, but rather the current dataset ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

We are currently looking at images from two different surveys - DECaLS and Illustrius - if you are classifying an image from DECaLS you will be asked a different set of questions, and some of them will be related to mergers. It is intentional, both projects have different research goal and the classification tree reflects that ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

Yep - exactly that. Specifically, we want to compare Illustris to the data already collected in Galaxy Zoo 2, so the trees are identical. For DECaLS, we've simplified things - for example, we found that asking for four classes of bulge size ended up being too finely split, so now we ask for three. Similarly, DECaLS is really good at dim features, and so we've added questions on tidal debris, which it's much better at than the Sloan images.

Thanks for the question!

Posted

• hiigaran by hiigaran

I do agree that four classifications for bulges is a bit too much, especially when it seems, at least to me, an extremely subjective question.

But either way, thanks for the clarification.

Posted

• thargos by thargos

Thank you for providing such an excellent application!!! I can tag in the subway and make my daily commute useful! The download cache is excellent, although I often empty the 50 images 1 or 2 stations before my arrival ๐Ÿ˜ƒ. But that's ok. Or maybe raise the maximum to 100?
    Thanks again for this excellent stuff. I would love to see many more zooniverse applications like that.

Posted

• hiigaran by hiigaran

Latest update allows 200 to be downloaded. Much better for us now!

Posted

• thargos by thargos

Great! Thanks for the feedback! I will upgrade.

Posted

• daniel.zarif by daniel.zarif

ah yes i agree

Posted

• daniel.zarif by daniel.zarif

so how you guys going

Posted

• feyanne by feyanne

I downloaded the app a couple of weeks ago. Beats any game! Here are a few questions:

Can you add a restart button, in case I change my mind during classifying?

Why are the classifying options not always the same? One time I finally saw overlapping galaxies, but the option did not appear!

Why do get the same galaxy images multiple times?

Is is possible to add a zoom option? The galaxies are sometimes too small to see on my phone screen. Or, as an alternative, a 'skip' button? If the galaxy is too small then I resort to rather randomly guessing, which can't be very useful to you.

Thanks in advance, and for the great app.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator in response to feyanne's comment.

Can you post this in Zooniverse Talk?

https://www.zooniverse.org/talk

Posted

• VXUMa by VXUMa

I really like the app, but I'm having some trouble with it now. I'm getting a message that says "Cannot download new subjects to classify". My Wifi connection is fine. Is anyone else having a similar issue?

Posted

• VXUMa by VXUMa

It works now, hooray!

Posted