Galaxy Zoo Talk

New to Galaxy Zoo? Want Help? Read this!

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

This is meant to help anyone who has questions about what to discuss on Galaxy Zoo Talk, and how to do it. There are some questions that come up pretty frequently, and some people have said they'd like to know what kinds of things they should be looking for. Below may not be an exhaustive list, but it's an attempt. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or post a response.

Tutorial

We're currently updating the extended tutorial, so watch this space -- in the meantime I hope the information below will do.

Classifying

Always classify the central object. We ask many people to classify the same object, so we get a really good idea of how confident people were and therefore how easy to classify an object was. There's often no right answer, so just use your judgment and give us your best guess. And thank you!

Weird Stuff

If you came here to ask "what the heck is that?!" about something you've just seen, chances are it might be an artifact of some kind, or a normal object (like a star) that just looks weird. Here are examples of some common ones:

olives in spaceolives in space

AGZ0002k6n, AGZ0001wnp

Something went weird with the focus/imaging: these are stars, believe it or not. #artifact

star outside frame bright star just outside image

AGZ0002j99, AGZ0002jvw

There is a very bright star just outside this image and its light is spilling over into the frame. (Also, the image is partly cut off.) #artifact

starstarstarstar

AGZ00008ey, AGZ0003492, AGZ0003vrz, AGZ0001o4y

Now the stars are all in the frame and look pretty weird. Some of these look weird because they're so bright. In general, the image creation is optimized to show galaxies in their best light, not stars, so stars often look a bit... well, like the above. #star #artifact

Note it's quite common to see stars in front of galaxies, in which case that's a #foregroundstar.

satellite trailsatellite trail

AGZ00058eo, AGZ0003q65

Satellites sometimes pass overhead as the telescope is observing and reflect light in a streak across the image as they pass by. They move quickly so their trails are always a single color: red, green, or blue. Sometimes you can classify the central galaxy, other times there is no central galaxy because the computer got a bit confused. (Also, the one without a galaxy in it has a #star off to the side.) #satellitetrail

asteroid, foreground starasteroid

AGZ00059k0, AGZ0003z60

Asteroids also move across these images, albeit more slowly than satellites. So when each of the filters that make up the image colors takes data in succession, the asteroid looks like a multicolored stripe (or series of dots) across the image. You can usually classify the galaxy too, but this is interesting extra information. Note: the first example also has a #foregroundstar over the top of a lovely #edgeon galaxy. #asteroid

edge of chipedge of chip

AGZ000005o, AGZ0000001 <-- wait, really? 0000001? cool.

Sometimes the very edges of a camera chip have bad pixels. Sometimes you can still classify the central galaxy. Other times, not. #edgeofchip #artifact

Plus, there are lots of other weird things. Other examples (hover your mouse over the image to see my comments):
    bad trackingbad pixelsstar and bad zoombad sky backgroundartifactartifact

AGZ0001u10, AGZ0000qos, AGZ0004fu5, AGZ0001tzy, AGZ00035f5, AGZ0001txq

If you see something you've never seen before but that you suspect is weird, feel free to ask whether it's an artifact or not. If you'd like to see some other artifacts, check out these collections: CGZS0000gw, CGZS000119

Now that you've seen this page you can just tag them using the hashtag system.

Science Bonuses

Galaxy Zoo volunteers are brilliant at finding weird and wonderful things we didn't expect. So we often want to keep track of objects with properties we don't ask about in the main classification questions. If you spot one of these kinds of objects you can help us by tagging it!

Overlaps and Mergers

Some galaxies that are close together on the sky are actual galaxy #mergers. Others are just coincidences, and sometimes the galaxies actually appear to #overlap on the sky. We can learn really interesting things about galaxies by looking at the ones that overlap! It can be difficult to decide whether two galaxies are interacting or are just overlapping, but if you suspect one or the other please do tag it! What do you think of these examples?

overlapoverlapoverlapoverlap

AGZ00054qy, AGZ0002baz, AGZ0002iue, AGZ0001us4

Voorwerpjes

Ever since the discovery of Hanny's Voorwerp we've been looking for more examples of ionized gas clouds in or near galaxies. They show up as brightly colored patches that don't really follow the rest of the shape of the galaxy, and we're on the hunt for more! Here are some examples of galaxies recently marked with the #voorwerpje tag: what do you think?

voorwerpjevoorwerpjevoorwerpjevoorwerpje hubblevoorwerpjevoorwerpje

AGZ0001xbb, AGZ0005ks2, AGZ0003g4y, AGZ00008gk, AGZ0002244, AGZ00059zp

Bulgeless AGN

We're looking for pure disk galaxies with no bulge but that host an AGN.

........."Wait, what's an AGN?"

An Active Galactic Nucleus is the term for a supermassive black hole in its "on" state: it's actively growing, which means the region around it (which is very compact) is also radiating. It can be very bright. AGN are tricky to spot just by looking at an image, but often they look like stars (sometimes very bright stars) superimposed right over the middle of a galaxy. It's okay to mark it if you just suspect there might be one -- don't worry, we'll follow up and check for sure!

Disk galaxies without bulges are of special interest because they have evolved without undergoing any of the processes that lead to the formation of bulges (including mergers). But those formation processes are the means by which supermassive black holes supposedly grow most of the time. So finding a growing black hole in a bulgeless galaxy is really interesting.

If you spot one (and here are a few candidates), feel free to tag it as #bulgeless #AGN or even #bulgelessAGN:

bulgeless AGNbulgeless AGNbulgelessbulgeless?

AGZ0001gvd, AGZ000289a, AGZ00041mq, AGZ0003h9a

And, of course, even if you aren't sure there's an AGN, you can always tag a #bulgeless galaxy.

Other Stuff

Perhaps the best part about Galaxy Zoo is that a new discovery is potentially just around the corner at any given moment. If you see something you don't see described here, just ask! Leave a comment on the object's page, or start a discussion about it. And if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask any member of the team, or a moderator. Feel free to send me a private message if you have questions you can't find the answer to elsewhere on Talk!

And feel free to add to this too -- this project is always changing so I expect new science goals to be added and new artifacts discovered at any time.

Cheers,

-Brooke (vrooje)

Posted

• Padme-1 by Padme-1

Thank you so much Brooke (vrooje). I have been exploring Zooniverse since January of this year and am just thrilled with the site.The information you have shared is so wonderful! A big help to me for some of the areas I was not familiar with. - Thank you,Stephanie (Bajik)

Posted

• Half65 by Half65

Another valuable font of information and help is the Forum

Posted

• Innerspace by Innerspace

Yep, I must agree this helps a lot T-Y. I find it fasinating to see things that very few have seen and to be 'helping' that is a added bonus.

Posted

• icarus777 by icarus777

Thanks everyone. I enjoy the viewer based forums because no matter the level of education, everyone has an interesting investigative approach being their own view point, their thirst for curiosity, and their pursuit of unknown answers. I have missed doing research with me being an old guy now!

Posted

• suelaine by suelaine

A lot of the galaxies that I investigate have a designation of "ugs" such as this very interesting galaxy "ugs_07812". What does that mean and where does it come from? Thanks
    Sue Morris...Suelaine

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to suelaine's comment.

Hi Sue

UGC is one way of making a catalogue of galaxies

Here's what wiki has to say about it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uppsala_General_Catalogue

Posted

• still_christine by still_christine

Anyone else having trouble with the electric blue type? The info. is great but wish I would have known all this before I started. For beginners, it's confusing where to leave a question and really assumes a high level of computer literacy (which is probably understandable given the topic of astronomy). Would help if I could blow up the pix I'm classifying. (see, it's probably super easy to do, I just don't know how!)

Posted

• fatha731 by fatha731 in response to still christine's comment.

If I understand you correctly, you're having problems with low quality pictures and don't know where to ask your questions?

Posted

• khasab by khasab

The link to the tutorial describing how Talk works doesn't seem to be working or it takes me to a blank page.

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist in response to khasab's comment.

Good point -- that was the old version and the new version is coming soon. I'll update the link as soon as it's online! Thanks.

Posted

• 3Maceo3 by 3Maceo3

Greetings all,

I'm new to Zooniverse and I was curious if I find a galaxy can I name it like people do with stars? Like can I name it officially, so when people refer to the galaxy they use the name that I created?

I'm relatively new to astronomy but I'm intrigued and eager to learn all that I can. The universe is unlimited and Earth is in the universe and I'm on Earth so that means I'm unlimited in the amount that I can learn right?!?!?!

I'm kind of new on here and haven't marinated fully on the "Read this" info, so if anyone can answer my question about the naming thing it would be great! Thanks in advance πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hi 3Maceo3,
    Welcome to the Zoo. Hope you'll have a great time here.

As for officially naming galaxies, sorry, that is not possible. The same goes for stars. But you can always name a galaxy, just for fun. πŸ˜„

Happy Hunting !

Els

Posted

• christophers by christophers

How do you change a password on this site? I can't find the option anywhere?

Posted

• fatha731 by fatha731 in response to christophers's comment.

You go to your profile here on Talk an click on your avatar. Then you insert your old username and password. I'm sure you can go on from there. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• turelli by turelli

Seeing possible comments made on my own comments

How can I see if somebody has made a remark after a comment of mine?
    thank you

Posted

You can follow a thread or discussion and then you can check these followed threads by clicking on 'following'.

That is the only way I can see.

Posted

• fatha731 by fatha731

...or one could go to his profile and check his recent comments and discussions and check the one he's interested in.

Posted

• turelli by turelli

thank you both!

Posted

Well, that is what we get paid for !!! Oh wait, ;-d ;-d

No, it's just because we love doing this ! I can still remember when I was a newbie and everything was so, well new !

Happy hunting everyone ! πŸ˜„

Posted

• LeeKick by LeeKick

Hi, my little problem is, that the quality of the pictures could be much better..., and when I click the help button, I can unfortunately not see all the page.., can see just the upper part.. wich is a pitty, because of course it could be very helpful to see those examples.My Screen is having the highest resolution already.

Posted

Hi LeeKick,
    which browser are you using? We know from experience that IE "sucks". Chrome and Firefox are definitely okay.

Posted

• LeeKick by LeeKick

Hi, I m using mozilla firefox... But ok, I will try it with another browser. Thanks πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• fatha731 by fatha731

I'm perfectly fine with Safari, if that's easier for you.

Posted

• LeeKick by LeeKick

Try it right now with g. chrom.. not perfect, but ok.. But: Thanks πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• HelPer2 by HelPer2

Hi, I just returned to galaxyzoo after a summer break. I cannot sign in using google chrome (I've reset my password and IE works fine). Also, the classify and talk pages do not load; I just get the header on classify, and the footer on talk. Any ideas that may help me return to my preferred browser?
    Thanks.

Posted

• skyandcosmos by skyandcosmos

Wow !!!

In addition, Galaxy Zoo participants discovered many mysterious objects like Hanny's Voorwerp ~ http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110210.html !!!

Posted

• odin234 by odin234

ty xD this help me a lot, i was confuse when i saw this one http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR8/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx?ra=12.89918158&dec=12.79247522&scale=0.79224&width=1012&height=1012&opt=&query=

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

I'm glad it helped! πŸ˜ƒ

-Brooke

Posted

• jrgdavies by jrgdavies

How do I access my Favourites on the new Galaxy Zoo?
    jrgdavies@yahoo.ca

Posted

You can find your favourites under Profile.

Posted

• rickyespinosa by rickyespinosa

Hello, I want to know how do you know that I classified some galaxies, regards.

Posted

Hi rickyespinosa

All our classifications are collected and stored. Every time you click, your answer is recorded.

Posted

• MrsRobbins by MrsRobbins

Is there any way to keep track of how many spirals vs. smooth, and "odd" vs. "normal"? I know the PROFILE page shows some info but I was looking for tallies of some sort. My students are working on Galaxy Zoo and I want them to include it in their project. Thanks

Posted

Hi Mrs Robbins

I forwarded your message to the science team.

Great that you have your students involved in Galaxy Zoo !

Happy hunting !

Els

Posted

• Wisi_EU by Wisi_EU

Just thought I'd post this URL here... it could be possibly very useful to all beginners here, specially to understand the importance of redshift and the possibility of blueshift. http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr1/en/proj/basic/universe/redshifts.asp
    Cheers

Posted

• ianbach by ianbach

Thanks I just joined and this was a very helpful post can you give examples of nebula and gas clouds also?

Posted

• Wisi_EU by Wisi_EU

Here are types of galaxies to help you classify them (from the original Hubble classification system) http://sings.stsci.edu/Publications/sings_3col/sings_3col.jpg

@ianbach, this is to give information on nebulae type of clouds http://www.sttff.net/ast/AST_nebulaclassification.html , but due to the nature of the pictures from SDSS and UKIDSS, you won't be able to see many nebula and gas clouds directly.

I would also advise you have a quick look at these pages from SDSS if you're a starter πŸ˜‰ http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr1/en/astro/stars/stars.asp

πŸ˜„

Posted

• erick_carranza by erick_carranza

it is my first time on galaxy zoo and i have been classifying images for an hour and i'm not pretty sure if i'm doing this right...but this was very helpful thank you

Posted

• G.Heberlein by G.Heberlein

Great Forum. This is a great site and it is always a good time to stop in and classify some new sights. Thank You for all your hard work.

Posted

• Jenszooni by Jenszooni

I am so new to Galaxy Zoo but it's wonderful. If I click "favourite" at the right hand side of the pictures, are they saved somewhere for me to see again? Still finding my way around the website and need to read a lot more about how to do this!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Jenszooni's comment.

Hi and welcome Jenszooni,

Yes they are saved, over on Galaxy Zoo.

If you look at the top of the screen, there is a 'Profile' hyperlink on the right. Click on that.
    Now click on the 'Favourites' hyperlink on the left hand side.

Let me know if this works!

Capella.

Posted

• xantipa by xantipa

Hi,

as I have only 500 classifications I suppose here is the place to find answers to my beginner's questions:

1. There is some erratic link about a quiz; where is it now; I wanted to do it in tha latest time but dissapeared.
    2. How many clicks should I collect in order to see some "Hubble Galaxies"?
    3. In the talk profile the only preferencies I can change is the Time format (absolute or relative). This is a bug or a feature?

Thanks

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to xantipa's comment.

Hi and welcome @xantipa πŸ˜ƒ

To answer your questions:

1. Ignore the quiz pop-up - it is a retired 'feature' πŸ˜ƒ
    2. The Hubble survey has been completed - since then we have done the UKIDSS and reverted back to SDSS. We have a exciting new survey coming up later this year - so watch the GZ blogs / social media / twitter or Talk for details πŸ˜„
    3. That is all you can currently configure - we will have a new version of talk launching next year, so it should be more customisable

Hope this helps πŸ˜ƒ.

Posted

And congrats on your 500 classifications !

Every click counts ! πŸ˜„

Happy hunting !

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

You can see Hubble images in the old Forum: Galaxy Zoo: Hubble forum http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?board=33.0 A mini-forum, where Hubble images have been posted.

Posted

• NynkS2 by NynkS2

So, are all pictures that have bright green/pink colours stars and not galaxies?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to NynkS2's comment.

Hi NynkS2 πŸ˜ƒ

Not having an image to look at, it sounds like you are describing foreground stars - sometimes there are problems with the filter on the telescope and we land up having some pretty spectacular artefacts to classify πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• stefku by stefku

Hi there

I'm new and I've got some questions.

1. Yesterday, I found a thread in the forum where I an ask newbee questions. I'm not able to find it anymore. The search is not working without login, but my login doesn't work. Anybody a hint what I'm doing wrong? I thought the login for the forum is similar to login to galaxyzoo.
    2. How do I distinguish stars from round galaxies? Maybe thats a topic for the help above on this thread.
    3. Skyserver already seems to know if an object is a star or a galaxy. Is this information right? If yes, why do I have to decide again?

Thanks in advance πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to stefku's comment.

Hi and welcome @stefku πŸ˜ƒ

It is always good to have questions - I will do my best to answer them πŸ˜ƒ

1. The old forum is now an archive, you can still read all the old threads and posts, but you are unable to enter new ones. If you have a question related to a object, or even a general question post it here and someone will get back to you πŸ˜ƒ
    2. Stars tend to be more cleanly defined than galaxies. To use a technical term - galaxies are more fuzzy πŸ˜ƒ Stars also have a few artifacts associated with them - these are caused by imaging 'errors' - they can have garish colours and diffraction spikes etc... If you have some examples you would like our opinion on - do post them!
    3. SkyServer is not always correct - they do try to be - but I have seen stars tagged as galaxies and visa versa. Always use your eyes first πŸ˜ƒ

Hoped this helped! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• stefku by stefku in response to Capella05's comment.

Thanks @Capella05, that helps πŸ˜ƒ

1. Unfortunately, I cannot discuss an object until I classified it. Or is there another possibility?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to stefku's comment.

Unfortunately not πŸ˜ƒ We want to get your opinion on the object. If you had a chance to discuss it, or read other volunteers opinions, the study would be biased.

Posted

• Lyntessa.May_ by Lyntessa.May_ in response to vrooje's comment.

In the last group of these galaxies the first three images look like they could all be the same galaxy from different angles. We only have our singular view from Earth and therefore I do not think they really are the same galaxy just that their shapes are similar. Looking at galaxies on end gives us a different view than looking at the top or a diagonal view of them. This is important in trying to determine what type of galaxy it is.

Posted

• Marie_Em by Marie_Em

It is nice finally to understand what I sometimes can see on the screen. I have to sy that I was a bit stressed about make it wrong.
    Thx so much πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Welcome, Marie! Don't be stressed. πŸ˜ƒ Each image is classified by many people, so mistakes aren't a problem. And when it's unclear what an object is, take your best guess! We've found that the cumulative effect of many people's guesses often helps us find the right answer.

Again, welcome, and happy classifying! Hope to see you around Talk plenty!

Posted

• Vishal_Arora by Vishal_Arora

Thank You very much for the information vrooje πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Krystle by Krystle

Hey everyone!

Apologies in advance for my newbie questions, I hope I'm in the right spot!

Is there any way to skip a galaxy?

What's SDSS and how come I can't click it? Screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/tF2x5gGZLXJ

Thank you πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi @Krystle!

No, there's no way to skip a galaxy. We want people to classify whatever they see, even if it just means taking their best guess... and we want to make sure that people can't just skip until they find a cool one that they like. πŸ˜ƒ We need all of these classified, not just the cool-looking ones, and even the difficult ones! Don't worry if you're unsure; educated guessing is sometimes a core element of citizen science.

SDSS refers to the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the icon denotes that the image you're looking at came from the SDSS, and not the Hubble... ? It's just an indicator, not a link.

Thanks for asking!!

Posted

Hi Krystle

Re : SDSS refers to the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the icon denotes that the image you're looking at came from the SDSS, and not the Hubble... ? It's just an indicator, not a link.

DZM is correct. In an earlier stage there were also images from Hubble so the icon changed according to where the image was coming from.

Hope this helps.

Happy hunting ! πŸ˜„

Posted

• ibrahim717 by ibrahim717

thank you

Posted

• Alpha2087 by Alpha2087

May i ask a novice question : is it possible, from an galaxy image, to know if there is one more hi-res image from HST or other telecsope ?
    example : http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/AGZ0002q92
    thank's

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Alpha2087's comment.

Hi Alpha2087 and welcome to the Zoo

Here is a very good guide on how to find out more about your galaxy : http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000005/discussions/DGZ0000lv2

Happy hunting ! πŸ˜„

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Expanding on what Els has said, once you have the ID of the galaxy, use a search engine to find other images of it πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Jellogum by Jellogum

Hi, My name is Jeremy. I am working to meld games with open source projects and education. For example, I am developing some software called GISZoo and GISCell, which in time will dovetail some features of Zooniverse with my project. I am here to explore how to infuse various Zooniverse projects into my game. I am also trying to convince Star Citizen developers that aspects of their game should include Zooniverse projects to enhance in-game play while helping to promote the goals of Zooniverse projects.

Can someone offer a contact that I can use to discuss if it is possible to meld software between my project and Zooniverse?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Jellogum's comment.

Hi Jellogum πŸ˜ƒ

You could try Darren, the community manager - darren@zooniverse.org

Posted

• mikorangester by mikorangester in response to vrooje's comment.

Hi
    What is the SDSS button in the classify app?

Posted

• mikorangester by mikorangester

What is the SDSS button in the classify app for?

Posted

That is a good question.... What is the function of the SDSS button in Classify? Maybe it just tells us the source of the image? ie SDSS

Posted

Hovering the mouse over the examples on page 1 is not working for me. Chrome, Windows Vista

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to mikorangester's comment.

Hi mikorangester and welcome to the Zoo

Budgieye is right. At one time there were also Hubble images thrown in the mix and that way people knew from which survey the image was.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Capella05's comment.

Yes; incidentally, I've told Jeremy in many places that he can reach out to me, though I haven't seen anything from him yet.

And yes, for @mikorangester , these days we only have SDSS images, so every image will be marked SDSS. It's just a marker, not a button. Good question!

Posted

• logic52 by logic52

I have only just started to classify galaxies. I have found all the above questions and answers very helpful. I recently had an image that has six galaxies on it. I was only able to comment on one. How does one comment on multiple galaxies, or is the requirement to comment on the major one in the image?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to logic52's comment.

Hi @logic52 -- welcome to Galaxy Zoo! Glad we're helping you out. πŸ˜ƒ

When there are multiple galaxies, you only want to classify the one in the very center. The rest are vestigial, although you could comment upon them if you wanted to.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your effort!!

Posted

More examples are needed on the classification page. A new classifier was confused about if an elliptical was clumpy with one lump.

Clumpy galaxies need a lot of magnification to be seen. I can see a clumpy galaxy above the target galaxy. They are blue and have an irregular shape. The zoomed in images look more pixellated. The target galaxy in the center of the image is closer to us, so it appears larger and needs a zoomed out image. It looks like an edge-on galaxy, with a bulging nucleus. So I would classify as

Features or disk, clumpy -no, Could this be a disk viewed edge-on? yes, rounded bulge, anything odd-no.

I will suggest that there should be more examples on the classification page.

Ellipticals are blobs from any direction, shaped like a rugby ball, American football, watermelon, avocado, .. take your pick. If you see them from one side, they are completely round, if you see them from the another, they are in-between. Ellipticals are never cigar shaped. If you see something long and thin with no detail, you are seeing an distant edge-on galaxy that has no nuclear bulge.

Here is an example of an inbetween shaped elliptical.

enter image description here

http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/?_ga=1.231298393.711441289.1371287491#/subjects/AGZ0002xie

Having a nucleus doesn't count as detail.

Posted

• KiranClarke by KiranClarke

How do I get to look at Hubble images instead of SDSS?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to KiranClarke's comment.

Hi KiranClarke and welcome to the Zoo

The Hubble images are all classified so we're, for the moment, back to the SDSS ones. But we are waiting for some new catalogues to classify.

Hope this helps

Happy hunting !

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck in response to KiranClarke's comment.

@KiranClarke you might be interested in the "Galaxy Zoo: Bar Lengths" project. It's using Hubble images -- I think from CANDELS.

Posted

• Ktrip by Ktrip

I can barely use the net, much less twitter, which I suppose are the hash tags. So I will just put notes on discussions for someone else to pick up. If I just write the #etc note on it, will it work for you? where are a list of these #s and their descriptions for the uninitiated?

Posted

• Ktrip by Ktrip

How can we check on the comparable accuracy of our classifications if we are new to this?. I have moderate astro knowledge, but may have missed some terms.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Ktrip's comment.

Just check here in Talk ! πŸ˜„ And for some images there is no right or wrong. That is why they need us ! πŸ˜„

Just answer the questions as well as you can !

Happy hunting ! πŸ˜„

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Ktrip's comment.

Sorry, but there are no lists of #. Just look to the left and look at the posts that people post. I know this will sound really corny? But in fact, the classifications work out really good ! πŸ˜„

Posted

• BeaterGirl by BeaterGirl

Oh, thanks. I've been believing all that strange green stuff what's actually bad-viewed stars was photos of galaxies.

Posted

• thargos by thargos

Excellent original post. Thanks.

Posted

• bryankile1210 by bryankile1210 in response to vrooje's comment.

Thanks for the info page. I am brand new to the site, I saw the talk on TED and had to check it out. I have no idea what I am doing so any advice would be great. Like, what do the terms next to each image mean. The RA. DEC, Redshift, log(Mstar), and Pbar? I am a complete newbie, help me out please. Point me at the right documents to read, or something.
    Much appreciated

Posted

Try

#1 How do I : Find out more information about the galaxy I have classified?Β http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000005/discussions/DGZ0000lv2

For RA, DEC Examine, Skyserver, Finding Chart, navigate, NED

for redshift, try

Astrophysics for Galaxy Zoo Talk - redshift z PhotoZ spectra emissions AGN https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000ulp

Posted

• ratprincess by ratprincess

Could we get feedback on our classification somehow? Think it might enhance the validity (whatever it might mean in the classification context) of the classification outcome and to avoid being reliably wrong?

Thanks.

Posted

I will try to answer for the scientists. Nobody knows how they do on classification. It ruins the statistics gathered, if information is given out. A classifier gets better with practice, and his/her classifications get a higher reliability score, but no one ever finds out what is it.

by klmasters ADMIN, SCIENTIST
    One way you can get some feedback if you wish to is to classify in a group (it can be a group of one person) and then use the Navigator tools to explore the galaxies you've classified in a group. This is a tool we've found to be popular with educators, but is available to all.

Try it out here: http://www.galaxyzoo.org/#/navigator/home

Posted

• ratprincess by ratprincess in response to Budgieye's comment.

OK. I see. Thanks!

Posted

• thinhnh3009 by thinhnh3009

Is there any certificate or anything that certifies the users's contribution (such as paper, post..) ?

I'm new in Galaxy Zoo, Thanks a lot.

Posted

• lerellhoward by lerellhoward

good job

Posted

• aerodavew by aerodavew

Newer classifiers NEED MORE EXAMPLES OF EVERYTHING!!!

Posted

• Arcsecs by Arcsecs

I am having a problem with my collection. I keep getting multiple copies in there and if I delete one they all go. The collection feature would be so good if it was easy to find and use.

Posted

• WGFinCO by WGFinCO

Just started classifying recently - enjoyable. Would it be possible to move the Examples screens and their enlargements to the right of the image of the galaxy being classified, or make them dragable to the right, to permit a more side-by-side comparison?
    Thanks.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to WGFinCO's comment.

Sorry, I don't think these rearrangements are possible in this phase of the project. Maybe they will be taken into account when the project will move to the Panoptes environment.

Thanks for participating ! πŸ˜„

Posted

• zoob1172 by zoob1172

There is a project proposal to do this.

Posted

• annemiekekooistra by annemiekekooistra

tnx

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi all , I came across a galaxy that looks square the Id: 588017603611263006 . The shape is a bit funny .

Posted

Is this the galaxy that you mean?

http://cas.sdss.org/dr7/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=588017603611263006

Posted

• Bazilou_defender by Bazilou_defender in response to vrooje's comment.

Thanks very much Brook
    A great help to my 11 yr old son and I who have just started. Enjoying the classifying of images together. Interestingly, he is far more decisive about what he sees immediately.
    We have alreay commented on 2 images, one which us a formless blue cloud and another a spiral galaxy with a detached cloud like part. Would appreciate comments from more experienced participants.
    Thx again

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist in response to Bazilou_defender's comment.

Thanks so much for classifying!

We have several really experienced classifiers (including our moderators) who comment when people ask questions, but sometimes it's hard to keep up. Sorry if we missed yours! πŸ˜ƒ But don't worry, your classifications will be useful no matter what.

Posted

• LimaZulu by LimaZulu

The "gamma" option doesn't work for me, as in it does exactly NOTHING. Have tried it in many pics with no luck. Am using a machine running Windows 10 version 1703 ( because the last version jacked up things, I am holding off on the most recent update)build 15063.726 and Firefox version 57.0 (again, holding off on updates since I HAAAAAATED the Quantum update. The Creator version was so much better)

Posted

Sorry, what do you mean by "the gamma option" ?

Posted

Some of my helpful hints for

BEGINNERS

There is no correct answer. If there are many different answers, it shows that this galaxy is difficult to classify, and that is information in itself.

Please see the comments under your own. Hopefully the next version of Talk will not have them hidden low on your screen.

New to Galaxy Zoo? Want Help? Read this!
    http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000003/discussions/DGZ1006byh

See something strange? Zoom out in SDSS Navigate and see if other stars are affected.

#1 How do I : Find out more information about the galaxy I have classified? http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000005/discussions/DGZ0000lv2

#1 How do I : Find out more information about the galaxy I have classified?Β http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000005/discussions/DGZ0000lv2
    Examine, Skyserver, Finding Chart, navigate, NED

#2 How do I: A Talk TutorialΒ http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000005/discussions/DGZ0000utn

In this thread you will learn (in no particular order) :
    How to create / edit discussions (known as Threads on the old Forum)
    Add comments / use the recents tab
    Create / edit and add items to collections
    Send PM’s and edit your Zooniverse profile
    Follow threads and comments
    Use the search functionality
    Find your way around your Talk profile.

#3 How do I: All your FAQ's - Includes a GZ Glossary
    http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000005/discussions/DGZ0000x8e
    Where can I change my avatar?
    How do I post a picture?
    How do I post a hyperlink?
    Where can I find my favourites that I have classified?
    In what context are these terms used?
    Artifact
    Oversaturation
    Foreground star
    Diffraction Spike
    Overlap
    Merger
    FOV
    SkyServer
    AGN
    Asteroid
    Satellite Trail
    Satellite GalaxyΒ (not to be confused with the above)
    NED
    SIMBAD
    SDSS
    UKIDSS
    Starbursts / Star Formation
    Irregular
    Disturbed
    Low Surface Brightness Galaxy (LSB)

Objects that need more research https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000004/discussions/DGZ0000ycq

SUPERNOVA

supernova are small and green see 4.1 Supernova https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000wrb?page=4
    Unreported supernova #SNe https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000007/discussions/DGZ00016qc

Is it a supernova? Check transients with Aladin https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/?_ga=2.197780399.1487098012.1493877526-711441289.1371287491#/boards/BGZ0000007/discussions/DGZ0002gsd

GRAVITATIONAL LENS
    Zooite Guide to Strong Gravitational Lenses http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=275811.0
    Gravitational lensesΒ  https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000wrb?page=3

Gravitational lensesΒ  https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000wrb?page=3

JETS

Relativistic jets are tiny features seen in a few nearby galaxies. Here is information.

3.6 relativistic jets in optical and radio https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000wrb?page=3
    examples of jets here http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000wrb?page=3&comment_id=53d8b92adb90c76710000f93

DISTANCE

These galaxies are probably well spaced out πŸ˜ƒ The blue one is probably closer to us that it is to the yellow ones. The orange one is quite distant.

Forum: Friday 8th January, 2010. Two galaxies, the same size? by Budgieye http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=277034.msg416504#msg416504 measure the size and distance of two galaxies

PAGE 2Β Galaxy Redshift Chart https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000007/discussions/DGZ0000ulp?page=2

7.3 Measure distance https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000wrb?page=7

ADVANCED
    Index for Galaxy Zoo Talk (links and images ) https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000wrb

Galaxy Redshift Chart https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000007/discussions/DGZ0000ulp?page=2
    Galaxy Redshift Chart https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000007/discussions/DGZ0000ulp?page=2

Spectra guide for SDSS images in Galaxy Zoo Talk https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000ulp?page=3&comment_id=53fef2ee3d5a77490c0001b6

Unknown / No ObjID in SDSS https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/?_ga=1.191070186.1751955194.1484309494#/boards/BGZ0000005/discussions/DGZ0002m2r
    Changing size of an image

byΒ  Ghost_Sheep_SWR
    I recently started using this:
    When adding an image, just add '=300x' or '=300x300' directly behind jpg

Posted