Galaxy Zoo Talk

Maintenance

• bluemagi by bluemagi

Hi, Keep getting the galaxy zoo is on maintenance when it isn't. Thanks, bluemagi

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Talk shuts down for a minute on the hour, to restock the shelves.

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

Still catches me off guard sometimes too! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• appleseed by appleseed

I am getting lots of "Galaxy Zoo is down for maintenance..." [I hit my reload button and it brings up the next galaxy] between each galaxy (GAMA) I examine - this is becoming quite tedious. >>>>> Second question (probably not the right post but I'll ask anyways --- I was receiving a mix of SDSS and GAMA galaxies but now am only getting GAMA galaxies...and i am trying not to go cross-eyed from their ever fuzzy and faint features ( the inter-mixed SDSS galaxies provide a nice "break" in-between GAMAs) --- thanks for responding, appleseed

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hi appleseed,

Sigh, why do these things always happen during the weekend ! ;D

Yes, I've been getting the 'down for maintenance' banner as well. It could be linked to the 'only getting GAMA images'.

It is possible that the SDSS images are done and that the GAMA images are almost done. But don't take my word for it !

I'll ask around, but as I said, it is the weekend, so I'm not expecting a quick answer.

Thanks for flagging this and thanks for participating !

Happy hunting !

Posted

Maybe maintenance is finished, classfication working for me.

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Yeah getting only GAMA images too now.

Has GZ ever been without SDSS galaxies to classify?

Maybe they can get skymapper images to classify ( The Southern hemisphere!). Also DECALS will release new DR soon with much better all band coverage, might be a new dataset in there ๐Ÿ˜ƒ and ofcoure PanSTARRS has great sky coverage beyond SDSS.

Posted

I've kicked this upstairs, but like I said, it is the weekend, so let's be patient ! ;D

Posted

There have been times when Galaxy Zooo only had Hubble Images, or Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope images.

5.5 Galaxy Zoo 4,5, etc Infrared images and BBC Stargazing Live https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000wrb?page=5

Our scientists have to have negotiations with various surveys to get them into Galaxy Zoo. We are fortunate that SDSS has a policy of freely available images.

Posted

• bluemagi by bluemagi

Everything is very slow at the moment Gama,Sdss and the zoo keeps going to maintenance every 3 photos. I'll be back another time. I know its the weekend and it gets like this at times so I come back another time.

Posted

• appleseed by appleseed

Thank you all for you responses they are all helpful in their own ways. Hopefully, they can smooth this out a bit - one can develop a certain cadence when classifying and that gets interrupted by whatever this problem is. Additionally, I would have no problem just having GAMA images to classify if that is all there is - my issue was primarily about the constant interruption of the maintenance notification. If this can be explained or resolved I would be most appreciative... thanks and regards, appleseed

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

Hi all, we're checking into this... in the meantime it may help to know that the "down for maintenance" message (which I've just gotten myself) is what the site defaults to showing when things are moving a bit slowly on the back end of the site. So it doesn't necessarily mean anyone has programmed that in specifically just now -- for example, I see it sometimes when I have a slow internet connection. But if you don't usually see it and you suddenly are, that can mean many things, such as those the other posters have suggested!

We'll have a look and hopefully be able to work on this once people come back into the office. Thanks so much for flagging it!

Posted

• kittycatcate by kittycatcate

It is not\

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Hmm perhaps this?

https://status.zooniverse.org/maintenance/a60b7f51-5daf-4c1e-a179-08c5fe00e9e2

Posted

• billfishsurveyst by billfishsurveyst

Found a Galaxy Zoo app which so far does not have this problem.

Posted

• Sirritanga by Sirritanga

looking for more patience...sometimes even after two or three classifications.

Posted

• bluemagi by bluemagi

Hi. Program is playing up with maintenance. Get one or two done and then it goes maintenance. Back another time. Cheers.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Ghost_Sheep_SWR's comment.

Don't think so. GZ is an Ourobouros project, so it should not be affected by work on the Panoptes platform.

But that said, it is very annoying and there doesn't seem to be any progress on this problem.

Let me try to get this back into the spotlight !

Posted

• PrinceofEuropa by PrinceofEuropa

Elisabeth,

Thank you for your response! As a fellow astronerd whose main profession is IT support, I know how frustrating long-duration issues and errors can be. Take your time and thank you again for working on getting this resolved for us! I just hope all other classifiers can express patience for this situation while the techs work on this.

-PoE

Posted

• PrinceofEuropa by PrinceofEuropa

Happy to report i'm no longer seeing any maintenance messages, and SDSS images have started to come through again as well! Shout out to the tech team and all others who helped bring the site back to life!

Posted

• appleseed by appleseed

Hi --- I filed a more detailed report of concerns 11 days ago --- all I have to say now is: Wow! All the imagery is coming in fast with no maintenance interruptions at all... and thanks for throwing some SDSS imagery back in there as well. A round of applause to whomever worked on this ( if you could, ElisabethB, please pass along a warm thank you to the folks upstairs --- again, thanks and best regards, appleseed

Posted

Yep, we're back in business without the annoying messages ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• Sirritanga by Sirritanga

Fix confirmed from my side.

Posted