Galaxy Zoo Talk

Talk has been having trouble?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Many times earlier today (Friday) GZ Talk would not load for me; the broswer would spin its wheel, and, after ~30 s, tell me I could not connect.

This also happened earlier in the week too, but not as badly (perhaps I just didn't try as often?).

Classify still worked, but if I clicked "Would you like to discuss this object?" nothing happened (the browser would time out). I assume - hope - that my classifications were OK, and that what was lost was only the opportunity to "discuss this object".

Have others been having similar problems?

Posted

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson

Yes, I have had exactly the same experience. I have also had difficulty (the dread spinning wheel) connecting with NED once I was in discuss this object. I wondered if the site was overloaded with users.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Arfon (admin) said this, yesterday, over at PH Talk: "We've had some issues with the Talk server over the last few days but this should be fixed now." (the thread is Server Brutally slow today; it was started "5 days ago").

I just had the same sort of experience I've had many times before; click on something, in GZ Talk, and the 'Connecting ...' wheel starts spinning ... keeps spinning ... Luckily, the GZ Talk page came up, this time; however, I'm going to go away and come back later.

How does one let Arfon (or another tech team member) know?

Posted

• Mjtbarrett by Mjtbarrett

Had similar problems using both windows 7 and chrome. Better now.
    One way to get help consistently would be to start a discussion with a heading something like "Report Technical Or IT Issues Here." Sticky the thread to the right hand side so it remains visible for ease of use. The moderators would soon spot a cluster of reports and should be quickly able to alert admin. updates and estimates of the required fix time can also be posted back to improve feedback. Being zooites, it might be possible for some issues to be resolved by the users (e.g. peer to peer "try a different browser)."

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

Yes been having the same problem off and on. Also very slow when it does work.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

There appeared to be some problems, but it looks like everything is okay now (touch wood ! )
    How to contact Arfon : just send a pm ;-D

Posted

• Padme-1 by Padme-1

Yes I have had this problem also.I thaught that the site may be over loaded as well

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

GZ Talk has been very slow today, sometimes failing to connect at all (Classify has been fine, GZ forum too).

Anyone else having trouble?

Posted

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson

Yes, I've had problems over the past couple of days. I frequently can not get images in SkyServer and get "Service Not Available" message or get a broken picture econ.

Posted